The next six-week Pawsitive Teams Prep School session starts on October 1, 2019. It’s from 7:00pm-8:30pm on Tuesday evenings—read all about the class and register online here.
If you’re curious about what it takes for you and your dog to become a certified therapy dog team, then our Therapy Dog Prep School is a great way to test yourselves without making a long term commitment. Our six-week school is offered four times a year.
Pawsitive Teams has been teaching a Therapy Dog Prep School since 1997 and has graduated more than 700 students. This is truly a “prep” school as our primary goal is to educate our students about the world of volunteering in the community with their pet dog. We do not certify after attendance but spend a great deal of time during the six-week classes helping guide our students towards finding the most appropriate therapy dog organization with which to certify and volunteer.
Our six-week class structure includes:
- Learning appropriate greetings with strangers
- Recognizing signs of stress in the dog to maximize the positive benefits of interacting with strangers in strange environment
- Teaching skills such as “leave it” to keep the dogs safe and preventing the dog from picking up pills on the floor
- Role playing in our Training Center with stations that represent typical therapy settings
- An outing with your dog to a local rehabilitation facility
- And of course our graduation includes a “diploma” and photo with a cap and gown!
Our Therapy Dogs in Training
We offer our six-week class four times a year, and registration starts through our online registration form.